Monday, January 28, 2008

Tired... oh so tired

My current Base Phase 4-week mesocycle got off to a rough start when I came down with a foot injury last Monday. In the last post I mentioned that it was diagnosed as a heel bruise as opposed to plantar fasciitis- which is a huge relief. After a week of not running I finally gave it a go this morning- running to leisurely 4.7 miles in 50 minutes. And it felt good!! I’m psyched!

The unfortunate by-product of last week’s lack of running was that I had to compensate with a proportional increase in cycling and swimming. I managed to rack up a solid 130 miles of biking which was significantly greater than my prior weekly high of 90 miles.

In addition to that, I really pushed myself in the swim this past week as well. I’m inching towards the sub 1:30 pace /100 yards realm. Every session I feel a bit more streamlined, I feel my catch is that much more solid. However I’m also leaving my workouts much more exhausted. I’m not sure why that is… am I pushing myself harder than usual? Or am I just not fully recovered from prior workouts?

Regardless, today is the first day of week 2 of this mesocycle and I’m EXHAUSTED. I racked up a good 14 hours last week. I’m aiming for 15 hours this week and then 16 hours the following. My recovery week won’t be till Feb 11th-17th and I’m beginning to wonder if I can last till then. I’m getting a feeling that 8 hours of sleep a night might not be enough time for my body to recover. Unfortunately, now that I’m biking an hour and a half nearly every evening, I’m not sure whether I’m going to have to time to shower, eat AND get another extra half an hour of sleep.

24 hours a day is just not enough. I spend about 9 hours at my office everyday, then I need 2 hours for the commute, that leaves me 13 hours on the weekdays for working out, eating, showering and sleeping. If I need 8.5 hours of sleep, then I have 4.5 hours left. Take about 2 hours for working out each day, and about 40 minutes for two showers I have barely 2 hours for cooking and eating and any personal time- each day.

These next two weeks are going to be daunting…

No comments: