Thursday, January 17, 2008

Hypoxic Update

Day 2 of flip turn/Hypoxic training. I felt good heading out the door this morning. I did 18x100 yesterday and today I was determined to get in some 200s with the flip turns, oxygen debt be damned!

I hop into the pool next to this girl who's absolutely flying (not the stroke, but the speed). I mean, one moment I see her in the corner of my eye breathing down my neck, the next moment she's gone. Shortly after, I see her in the distance gaining up on me again and I realize that she had lapped me so fast I didn't even see the bubble trails. It was sickening. Turns out she swam for an NCAA Division I school and now shes a triathlete.

That was when it truly dawned upon me how tough the competition out there really is...

In less humbling news- I did 8 sets of 200s, all with flip turns! It seems like my body is adjusting to this drop in oxygen supply incredibly well. I'm going to be aiming for 4x400's tommorrow. That may be pushing it a bit, but I'm cautiously optimistic after today's results.

No comments: