Saturday, January 26, 2008

So its not Plantar Fasciitis! Sweet!

So after running like a maniac on my new Nike Frees 5.0, I came down with a foot injury. Everytime my heel struck the ground, even while walking, pain shot up my body. I was limping to work, limping from work, and all-around limping. The symptoms sounded like plantar fasciitis except for the fact that this was not a morning thing, and stretching the tendon did not alleviate the pain. I started pressing around the soles of my feet and found that there was no pain... all the pain originated from the medial side of my foot! This was definitely NOT consistent with PF symptons, by this time I'm really puzzled and a tad worried.

I had a physical therapist friend of mine (how convenient is that? I give him some cake and he diagnoses my condition) take a look at my foot and he concluded that it is NOT plantar fasciitis. BIG sigh of relief. Turns out to be just a bruise. I'm not sure how it got there, but it might have to do with the 10 min 7:30 min/mile pace I tried on the new Nike Frees. I may have to slowly work into those shoes.

This week has become somewhat of a cycling /flip turn intensive week. I've biked just about every night (except last night so that I'd remain fresh for the VQ training session today) this week.

Yesterday evening I decided that my heel hasn't healed enough to run yet, so swimming was probably the best idea. And I'm usually a morning pool person, so I wasn't sure what to expect with the Friday evening crowd. I walked into the locker room and there's this guy with his 6 year old daughter hanging out right next to my locker. I slowly take my time unloading my stuff and hoping that they'd be gone before I change into my swimsuit... but no!

So I'm standing there debating what to do, should I tell this guy that there is a family locker room? That I don't want to strip down in front of his daughter so maybe he should... LEAVE?

However I wasn't in the mood for a confrontation so I just wrapped a towel around my waist and struggled out of my boxers and into my swimsuit and booked to the pool.

I felt truly sluggish in the pool. I don't know whether its because I've been sleeping 7 hours instead of 8 for the past few nights... or whether I just went out too fast in my warm-ups. My motivation was waning, my arms were heavy and lungs were burning. I decided to grind it out and ended up doing a much longer workout than I expected to- just to prove to myself that I can HTFU when it matters.

And boy did I sleep well last night.

No comments: