Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Weight of the world

"When you wake up and you're tired, think, they all want to be you." – Running with Buffaloes


If I only had someone read that to me this morning. I woke up grumpy and tired, and worse- with an elevated heart rate. The thought of going back under the covers fleeted through my head, just for a second- I promise. Then I realized what I had to do.

I know I’m inching towards the finish line, however it is during these times that the doubts start clouding your mind. It was no different this time. My biggest fear, as usual is of injury. Perhaps this is not just any ol’ doubt, but a legitimate concern. Milestones are good and all but not at the expense of injury. Even after two years, I’m still having a difficult time deciphering the signals my body is giving me. Where is the line drawn between courage and folly? One step too far each season and you end up a perennial underachiever.

Toeing that line has always been something I’ve always been prone to do- not out of some foolish need to prove myself day in and day out, but because of an inflexible mind towards following a plan towards achievement. Hmm... perhaps there is a component of foolishness there. What I need to realize is that once the most direct path to the destination leads through a war zone, it’s probably time to draw up a new set of directions.

Or maybe not… in a way this mindset is a double edged sword. It has brought me to where I am now, but to take it to the next level I need to harness the fool within.

No comments: