Monday, February 22, 2010

Obsession

In any human endeavor, some fraction of its practitioners will be motivated to pursue that activity with such concentrated focus and unalloyed passion that it will consume them utterly... For some, the province of the extreme holds an allure that's irresistible... As a result of his or her infatuation, existence overflows with purpose. Ambiguity vanishes from the fanatic's worldview; a narcissistic sense of self assurance displaces all doubt. His perspective narrows until the last remnants of proportion are shed from his life. Through immoderation, he experiences something akin to rapture. - John Krakauer

I read this quote today and it struck a chord within me. For the past couple years since I picked up triathlon training I’ve had many people approach me and tell me that my hobby was bordering on obsession and that my life was out of balance. The scary thing is that this included people within the triathlon community. I’ve always struggled to respond to these comments, and more often than not ended up apologizing for straying away from a life of normalcy and balance.

For good or bad, it’s refreshing to see an articulation of such a mindset. I’m not sure if I can afford the singleness of focus as written in the passage, but I sure as hell can relate to the effect it has on me.

There’s a part of me that wonders how far I can go if I gave it everything I got.

No comments: