Friday, February 19, 2010

For the Love of the Game

For years now I have maintained that I don't enjoy running. Whenever someone asked me why I ran, I would say that it was because it's the third leg of the triathlon. And it was true. I used to hate putting on my running shoes and slogging out on the pavement. To me every step was heavy and the whole ordeal was a chore.

However gradually, even imperceptibly, I came around to the discipline. For the first time yesterday, I actually looked forward to running. Sitting there at work I pictured myself flying down the trail (whether I actually do or not is irrelevant) and I realized that I couldn't wait to run later that evening. That realization was a breakthrough in my mind.

This shift wasn't something that happened overnight either. It was slowly built up through the process of learning how to run. I would say it was set in motion by my marathon training last year. Step after step, mile after mile, my body kept on adjusting itself so that my form was no longer as terrible as it once was. When it began to feel effortless was when it started to get fun. Then this year, following the Lydiard principles, I've taken fun to the next level. It was running for the sake of running. Pace be damned. Heart rate be damned. If it felt right I opened up, if not I took it easy. When I did open up it felt like I was running on air.

I love running.

No comments: