Monday, March 31, 2008

PR demolished!!

Yesterday I ran for a sub-7:10 min/mile pace for 5 miles demolishing my old record of 7:58 min/mile (for the same distance)! What made it even more surprising is that I did it on less than 3 hours of sleep. I attended a wedding the night before and had to wake up at 3am for a flight to get into the city by 7am and make it to the starting line by 9:15am.

For the duration of the race I focused on my form and it seemed that I never pushed myself beyond my limits, ending the race with the seemingly perfect amount left in the tank. I have to say that I’ve never paced a race this well before.

Afterwards, I grabbed some grub with a bunch of friends who had joined me for the race. After lunch I went home and started doing chores around the house. I didn’t really feel tired at all, so I moved from one errand to the next. At 5pm I decided to take a quick nap before dinner.

When I came to it was 10pm. I was totally knocked out of the past 5 hours!! I realized for the period after the race I must have been operating purely on adrenaline. I quickly whipped up some dinner and promptly went back to sleep- knocking myself out again, this time from midnight till 6.30am - for a grand total of 11.5 hours of sleep for the evening.

Thus concludes a highly successfully triathlon periodization cycle. My first ever, and if this is any indication, a start of many fruitful cycles to come. I will be taking a day off, and will slowly transition into the next cycle which will peak again in late August.

Oh JOY!

No comments: