Sunday, March 23, 2008

One more peak!

So this first "peak" of the season is aimed at two events- 1) The bike FTP test I took last week. 2) The 5 miler I have at the end of this week. Even though there is no swimming involved in this peak, I really feel that the results of these two events will really reflect upon my training for the past 4 months. They aren't triathlons, nor are they really big 'A' type races by any stretch of the imagination, but I truly need to do well to give me the confidence to push my training to the next level.

The results of my first test went above and beyond my expectations. My FTP jumped a solid 16% in 10 weeks from 202 to 234. I couldn't be happier with those results.

Now I have a week till the second test and I'm starting to feel the pressure again. My PR for the 5 miler is a 39:52 (about 7:58 min/mile pace) set last year around the same time. I'm really hoping to break 38 minutes (~7:45 min/mile pace) next week. In my hearts of heart, I know, just KNOW I can do it.

Considering the results of my bike test, it seems that the principles I've been applying to my training *should* be working. The hard work has been done, now I just need to calm my nerves and go out there and reap the rewards.

No comments: