Thursday, March 20, 2008

Another Loss

Arthur C.Clarke, arguably the greatest science fiction writer of all time has passed away. The world has lost yet another great mind.

I remember devouring his Space Odyssey series…powering through 2001 to 2010 to 2061. The ideas he wrote about blew my mind wide open. I was taken on a pretty wild journey, made more real by the fact that everything he wrote was based on true scientific principles. I distinctly remembered being even more thirsty for his writing, following up Space Odyssey with the Rama series. And boy, did it not disappoint. Without spoiling the plot, the series opened my eyes up to a whole new perspective on stellar systems in general and ours in particular (a highly recommended read!)

At the time I made a mental note to read the rest of his novels (which thankfully are many, he was quite a prolific author). Until now I’ve been putting it off, but now I’m set on purchasing his latest book, slated to be released later this year- Last Theorem. Which is probably something about Fermat’s Last Theorem.

I will have to credit him and Carl Sagan for fostering my (and probably millions of other’s) curiosity towards the cosmos.

RIP.

No comments: