Monday, February 11, 2008

Introspection

This past week has been a rough one on me. Ever since pushing myself too hard last Monday and coming down with a minor affliction of URTI (upper respiratory tract infection) I’ve been totally lost- figuratively of course. My whole schedule was thrown out of whack and perhaps I wasn’t ready to deal with level of change that I had to go through. For a few months now, my life revolved around my training. The perceived intensity of which was exacerbated by the fact that I have a full-time job and a decent commute to and from said job. Once the body chills hit, I was pretty much forced to give up that lifestyle at the risk of making the whole ordeal much, much worse.

Ironically enough, this was the first time since I started training that I actually had the time to think about HOW triathlons fit into my life and WHY I’m actually dedicating so much of myself to this pursuit. The questions came heavy and hard and I did feel my resolution waver. I needed to be sure that I had the right reasons to pursue this dream, especially considering how much I’m planning to invest towards it.

I talked to my friend who got me into this the first place and he told me about his motivations. Why he needed this drive, and how it supplements his life. As I listened, I realized that everyone has different motivations to embark upon the same journey. Even though the destination may be the same, the driving force may be vastly different and such was the case with us.

No comments: