Saturday, April 19, 2008

So much to do, so little time

So moving into this cycle I pledged to myself that I will focus more on the cycling leg. I felt that I really needed to put in some miles and get my biking up to par with my running and swimming. However I feel that I'm detracting from my goals in the other two disciplines.

Ever since doing a 7:09 pace on a 5-miler a few weeks ago, I've been dying to get in some extra running to make sure I can manage a sub 7 min/mile pace on a middle distance (6.2 miles) triathlon run leg- by the end of the year.

In addition to that, it has always been a goal of mine to swim sub 1:30 pace for the 1500 m.

Obviously, there's not enough time in the week to FOCUS on all three legs. As a result, I've come up with a compromise. Sort of.

1) I will bike a lot more. That much is a given, I can't disregard my weakest leg in attempt to meet a milestone in my stronger legs.
2) Running will remain consistent. I won't up the effort level since my first cycle was extremely successful. If I went any harder, this additional intensity plus the increased bike volume will definitely put me in injury territory.
3) I will be totally deconstructing my swim technique. That's right, it's taking way too long for me to reach 1:30 cruising pace. I must be doing something wrong, and that something is focusing mostly on fitness and not enough on technique. Over the next month or so, I will not be doing any hard workouts but will be meticulously fine tuning my stroke. I've read a lot of literature and talked to some pretty knowledgeable swimmers and I think this is probably the right step to take.

So thats that.

No comments: